The versatile and innovative new StreetLux street lighting controller from Chalmor provides a cost-effective, energy saving retrofit solution for street and amenity lighting and other photocell-controlled exterior lighting applications.
Local authority field trials with street lighting have shown a reduction in energy consumption of 43% when compared to traditional street lighting control strategies.
Unlike conventional control options for street and amenity lighting, StreetLux will switch lighting off for pre-set periods of time during the night (e.g. midnight to 5.30 am), simply by using solar calculations. As such it is a highly cost-effective alternative to battery powered timers or other expensive and high-maintenance controls.
Product Code: StreetLux
How it works
When first installed, StreetLux acts like a normal photocell for the first 2-3 days while also ‘remembering’ the hours of darkness and whether these are increasing or decreasing. For instance, a 6 hour, 10 minute period of darkness will occur twice a year but the increasing or decreasing trend over two or three days enables the unit to determine not just the month but also the day of the month.
This information enables the unit to refer to a pre-loaded database, accurately predict the hours of darkness for future nights and initiate the pre-set switch off/on times. In typical street lighting applications StreetLux will reduce street lantern running time by around 2,000 hours per annum, per light, as indicated on the bar chart. For a 70W street lantern with circuit watts of 90W including ballast losses, this would equate to an annual saving of 180kWh per light, per annum. The StreetLux itself only consumes around 0.25W when operating.
- Enables on/off switching during the hours of darkness without timers or complex controls
- Proven in many thousands of street lights in the UK
- Significant savings in energy and emissions
- Fast payback, typically two years in street lighting applications
- Typical street lighting savings 180kWh per light per annum
- Automatic switching between GMT and BST
- Suitable for use with all light sources
- Easy and quick to retrofit
- Wide range of street and amenity lighting applications
- Minimal maintenance requirements
- U.M.S.U.G. Approval code 9400011